Tuesday, September 19, 2017

TwosDay - Sean - HW Reflection



“Grading” homework for accuracy just doesn’t feel right to me. Practice is a formative process with my kids that I want them to be able to screw up and learn from. But “grading” it JUST for completion feels empty & let’s them off the hook a bit when it comes to maintaining focus and commitment to learning as opposed to just “getting it done”. So, I’ve come up with a reflective piece for homework that I can have students fill out AFTER completing the practice. This reflective piece is what is graded and keeps the kids locked into thinking about what they’ve attempted, predicting how they did, and identifying where they struggled. It’s done through a Google Form (I feel like “google form” is the answer to most things...that and chocolate) and is a simple process that’s re-usable throughout the entire school year. Check it out…

*My Marzano Connection: DQ2 “Interacting With New Knowledge” → Element 13 “Reflect on Learning”

No comments:

Post a Comment